2.28.2011

trash.

The Japanese trash system is like recycling on steroids.... it is ridiculous! I have three, yes three, different trashcans in my kitchen, so I can properly dispose of my garbage. I also have a fourth additional small bag under my sink and that does not include paper recycling.... I never thought it was possible for so much effort to be required in order to throw away a single piece of garbage. Burnables, non-burnables, PET recyclables, mixed paper, combustibles.... all has to be sorted just right or they return your trash to your doorstep with a nasty gram... Japanese may be nice about a lot things, messing around with trash is not one of them.



I now cut cardboard up with a box-cutter (only after properly removing ALL tape from the box) and bundle it up with twine. (See picture above.) This was the work of HOURS of my life that I will never get back... I realize Japan is an island with way too many people living on top of each other, so they are required to be trash-efficient. But, geeze, this is a lot of work! I had better be saving some serious trees with all the effort I exert every time I want to throw something away!

No comments:

Post a Comment