8.22.2011

two-four.

Today I turned twenty-four on the twenty-second. How odd to think about being a year older.... Someone asked me how old I was and I swear twenty-two came out of my mouth before I could even think about it.... I actually had to correct myself and remember that I am now twenty-four. Three years ago I thought that was so old, that I would have it all figured out by now. Ha! How wrong I was...

Now that I am twenty-four, I think that I have less figured out than I did back then....all but one thing: the fact that I cannot keep planning for the rest of my life; this is it.

I can't help but look back to a year ago from today and think how much has changed about me and my life in the past year. It has, at times, been a difficult one. But there has been a lot of learning and a lot of growing. One year ago, I was celebrating with my family while living at home waiting to figure out where I would go next. Now, I am living on my own half way around the world. That is quite a change and more than I ever would have expected.

Even from three months ago I am a different person. I never expected to learn so much, especially so much about myself. I have been low as ever and have climbed back up. No, I don't always love this place or being gone all the time, but I can see the positives and how much there is to gain from this small adventure of mine.

I am tougher than I thought, more loved than I ever imagined, and have the chance to work towards something greater than myself.... what a beautiful realization to give myself on my twenty-fourth birthday. There is only more to come before the next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment